Thursday, December 31, 2009

Waste not, want not

So a couple days ago you cooked steak for your wonderful daughter's birthday dinner.

A lot of steak.

Too much steak.

What do you do with leftover steak?

You make beef stroganoff, that's what, and it comes out tasting better than the meat at the birthday party.

"How do you make beef stroganoff?"

I'd be happy to tell you if I could find the recipe I used. But I can't. Very roughly, however:
  • 12 oz mushrooms, quartered
  • 1 onion, sliced thinly
  • 2 cups of beef broth
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 2 cups of sour cream
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
  • leftover steak, sliced into thin, bite-sized pieces
  • salt and pepper (of course)

  • Cook the mushrooms in butter until brown, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat.
  • Cook onions in butter about 5 minutes.
  • Add tomato paste. Whisk
  • Add flour. Whisk.
  • Add beef broth. Bring (?) to boil. Add sour cream, mushrooms and leftover steak. Cook until meat is warmed through.
  • Serve over egg noodles.
UPDATE: I found the recipe and updated the post accordingly (1/4/10). My memory was surprisingly good. I forgot the Dijon mustard, the lemon juice, and the parsley, but when I made it I left out the lemon juice and parsley anyway. My version, above, reflects the fact that I used leftover meat and the fact that I used a lot more than 1/4 cup of sour cream. I incorrectly remembered that the recipe called for wine; it doesn't.

No comments: