Wednesday, February 20, 2008

What Abby will remember of me when I'm long gone

Three Fridays ago, February 1, I got to hang out with Abby because some ice on the roads had led to her school's being closed. There was a little rain that morning too, but the weather started to clear pretty quickly, so I suggested that we head in to the zoo. Whereupon, the following dialog:

"Okay, pop-pop, but we better take umbrellas."
"Oh, I don't think we'll need umbrellas, Abby. The rain is ending. And even if we do have a little shower, we both have hoods on our coats."

You know where this is headed, right? After we parked the car and walked to the other end of the zoo, the skies opened up. It poured and poured. We waited in the ape house for 30 minutes but there was no let up, so finally we decided to head back up to the car. We got soaked. And she was wearing sweatpants that just sucked up the water like a sponge. By the time we got to the car, her pants must have weighed almost as much as she did.

That was, as I say, 3 weeks ago.

Yesterday when Cassie was saying grace before supper, Abby said "I have something to add. God, please keep Rogie warm and dry while he's skiing with his brother, not cold and wet like I was when pop-pop took me to the zoo -- without an umbrella, even though I told him we should take one."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It seems to me that there is a commercial on television that is very much to the point. The message is in regards to what happens between parents and their children (grandchildren).....you don't have to be perfect, you just have to care.


Jack