Monday, January 28, 2008

". . . I talked to God, and I told Him. . . "

Yesterday our homilist read a few sentences by Anthony de Mello, SJ advising us to become less attached to people and things. This is not the selection he read, though I think it might have made us sit up straight if he had:
Or you could try another exercise. Think of a time when you were heartbroken and thought you would never be happy again (your husband died, your wife died, your best friend deserted you, you lost your money). What happened? Time went on, and if you managed to pick up another attachment or managed to find somebody else you were attracted to or something else you were attracted to, what happened to the old attachment?

You didn't really need it to be happy, did you? That should have taught you, but we never learn. We're programmed; we're conditioned. How liberating it is not to depend emotionally on anything. If you could get one second's experience of that, you'd be breaking through your prison and getting a glimpse of the sky. Someday, maybe, you will even fly.

I was afraid to say this, but I talked to God, and I told Him that I don't need Him. My initial reaction was "This is so contrary to everything that I've been brought up with". Now, some people want to make an exception of their attachment to God. They say, "If God is the God that I think He ought to be, He's not going to like it when I give up my attachment to Him"! All right, if you think that unless you get God you're not going to be happy, then this "God" you're thinking of has nothing to do with the real God. You're thinking of a dream state; you're thinking of your concept. Sometimes you have to get rid of "God" in order to find God. Lots of mystics tell us that.

Update: I suppose no comment is necessary, but I'll make one anyway. I think the quotation is a mixture of insight and nonsense, maybe in about equal parts, and that trying to separate them wouldn't be worth the trouble.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with the "update".

Jack